I’ve received quite a few emails about this report which has become sensationalized by the media.
Meat as bad as smoking
Is it legit or just another piece of garbage study. I’m going to give you my basic reasoning why I think it sucks and then link you to Mike Kesthely’s thoughts as well. Mike’s the health/nutrition guy for Optimum Performance Training and the International Fitness Center in Arizona. He knows his shit.
1) Their result is a CORRELATION, not a CAUSATION. There’s a big difference between the two.
2) Their statistics seem pretty suspicious at best. I see one graph with low, medium and high protein diets with rates of cancer of 9.8, 10.1 and 9.0… there’s no difference there. Saying that there is a difference is misleading and idiotic.
3) The use of mouse studies in their report… Look, I use mice all the time in my research. They are very helpful for some diseases, metabolic disease is not one of them. They are basically built to be foragers of all kinds of food, so force feeding them high levels of protein is non-physiological. Also, there’s still some shitty statistics here…
4) What they are calling a high protein diet and what people like Robb Wolf, Loren Cordain, Mark Sisson, etc. are recommending are two different things. Do you really think the people in this study are eating fruits, veggies, nuts seeds and high quality protein? Or does high protein most likely involve a bunch of fast food. The last time one of these reports came out that I analyzed, I found that “animal meat based diet” included things like meat on pizza.
5) Look at the affiliations of the researchers. The SENIOR RESEARCHER is the founder and has equity in L-Nutra, a vegan based nutrition system. Hmmm, perhaps there’s a conflict of interest there…
Anyway, here’s the opinion of a man much smarter than myself: